If you want to make your own, or add to a bought jar to make nicer!
- 12oz/340g eating apple, peeled, ored and grated.
- 8oz/225g melted butter
- 8oz/225g raisins
- 8oz/225g sultanas
- 8oz/225g currants
- 4oz/115gcandied peel or cherries chopped
- 6oz/115g blanched chopped Almonds
- 6oz/115g dark brown sugar
- Finely grated rind of 1 orange and 1 lemon
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- tsp ground nutmeg
- ground cloves
- tsp salt
- 300ml whiskey or less.
- Melt the butter, mix all the ingredients together in a large bowl. Cover and leave overnight, or up to 2 days.
- Fill into clean sterilised dry jars. Makes a lovely gift also.
MINCE PIE PASTRY
- 10oz/275g butter
- 16oz/450g plain flour
- 3oz/75g ground almonds
- 2oz/50g icing sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 20-30ml milk if necessary to bind
- Mix f;lour, almonds and sugar, Run in the butter until it looks like breadcrumbs.
- Make a well in the centre and add the egg yolks blended with 1 teaspoon of the milk.
- Stir gently and add more milk until you have a soft dough.
- Cover with cling film and put in the fridge for at least an hour.
Assembling the Mince Pies:
- After the pastry has chilled, rollout and cut 12 circles and 12 stars.
- Place each circle in a cupcake and top with one spoon of the mince meat.
- Top each one with a star shape of pastry before finally brushing with some milk.
- Place the mince pies in a pre-heated oven at 230 degrees for approx. 13 minutes.
- Enjoy with a sprinkling of icing sugar and some whipped cream.