A soft chewy biscuit reminiscent of childhood Christmas, with a square if rice paper at the bottom before we had baking parchment.
- 1oz /30g ground rice or semolina
- 4oz / 115g ground Almonds
- 2 egg whites
- 7oz/200g caster sugar
- About 8 blanched almond halves to decorate.
- Preheat the oven to 150c. Line 2 baking trays with baking parchment.
- Put the egg whites into a bowl, dip i the blanched almonds and put to the side.
- Whisk the egg whites until they form soft peaks.
- Gently fold in the ground almonds, sugar and ground rice or semolina.
- Spoon the mixture in teaspoonfuls onto the lined baking sheets and smooth out with the back of a spoon to form circles. Place an almond half in the centre of each.
- Leave to cool on the trayds for a few moments, then lift off and allow to cool completely on a wire rack.